Position: Director, Technical Accounting & Financial Reporting
Karyopharm Therapeutics is a clinical-stage pharmaceutical company focused on the discovery and development of novel first in-class drugs directed against nuclear transport targets for the treatment of cancer and other major diseases.
Reporting to the Corporate Controller, The Director, Technical Accounting & Financial Reporting provides leadership and technical guidance of accounting policy development and financial reporting within the Corporate Accounting department. The individual in this role is responsible for the verbal and written communication with senior leadership and external auditors for technical accounting, reporting, and accounting policies. This individual will lead all technical accounting projects and related activities including revenue recognition, stock-based compensation and oversee the accounting for our German and other subsidiaries.
- Lead the preparation and issuance of the financial elements of SEC financial filing requirements (Form 10K, Form 10Q, Form 8K)
- Lead the preparation of workpapers supporting SEC financial filings including financial statements, footnote disclosures, MD&A, etc.
- Analyze and review Financial Statements and other financial information to conclude on accuracy and/or identify and resolve issues for financial reporting/US GAAP/compliance.
- Analyze and review XBRL mapping / tagging of financial statements and footnote disclosures
- Analyze and prepare financial sections of Proxy Statement and assist with overall review of filing.
- Lead the development and ultimate management of various revenue policies and procedures including government pricing, gross-to-net recognition, interaction with third-party logistics (3PL) providers, collaboration agreements and royalty/milestone agreements
- Lead the implementation of ASC 606 and on-going assessment, including determining the implementation impact to our financial statements and developing related internal control
- Oversee grant and VAT accounting and meeting with appropriate personnel to determine status and appropriate treatment.
- Analyze effects of new accounting pronouncements and/or regulations (issued by FASB, IASB, AICPA, SEC)
- Support the Controller in developing accounting policies, procedures and implementation of new or amended accounting standards
- Monitor consistency of financial data in all externally reported information
- Assist with Sarbanes-Oxley section 404 compliance regarding internal controls over financial reporting
- Review documentation of quarterly earnings releases, attachments and conference call scripts
- Review impairment testing of goodwill and other assets
- Lead in the comprehensive evaluation of various transactions to ensure timely confirmation of the accuracy, completeness, validity and ultimate integrity of accounting transactions and reported financial statements.
- Lead various special ad hoc projects as they arise
- Establish the vision for and lead operational / accounting improvement initiatives through collaboration with accounting, operational and IT personnel and leadership
- Provide oversight, review, and guidance to junior members on the team to ensure accurate financial reporting, proper documentation standards, knowledge and skill development, and promote team unity in the collective goal of quality financial statements and information reports submitted in a timely manner.
- 8-12+ years of financial accounting experience with Big 4 or national public accounting firm and/or industry experience;
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
- Licensed CPA with demonstrated and proven success in application of US GAAP, financial analysis, consolidations, and SEC financial reporting
- Strong experience with life sciences revenue recognition and stock-based compensation is required
- Experienced in executing due diligence steps to ensure SEC filing integrity.
- Proven ability to:
- Meet various statutory deadlines under tight time constraints.
- Effectively communicate complex messages to diverse audiences at all organizational levels, both verbally and in writing.
- Proficiently access and manipulate data for creating financial analyses and other formal presentations.
- Work independently and be able to solve non-recurring problems through strong leadership.
- Proven ability to understand, interpret, and prepare key SEC filings, including, but not limited to, forms 10-K, 10-Q, 8-K, proxy statements, MD&A, footnote disclosures, etc. (inclusive of XBRL and EDGAR filing requirements)
- Ability to work in fast-paced environment
- Experience with a life sciences company would be beneficial
Please fill in the contact form below to apply for this position: